Archives

Arrests after police break up illegal rave

Three people have been arrested and sound equipment seized after police shut down an unlicensed music event in the early hours of Sunday.

 Police were called shortly after 1am by a member of the public reporting a suspected rave at Woodbastwick. Officers found approximately 100 people in a wooded area in the early stages of an unlicensed music event.

 Police vehicles were used to block the entrances to the site to prevent further vehicles from entering, before officers went in to monitor the event, seizing generators and sound equipment were seized. The site was cleared by 5am.

 Officers have launched an investigation in order to identify the organiser(s) of the event and enquiries are ongoing.

 Three people were arrested in connection with the event:

–              One man aged in his 20s on suspicion of drug and driving offences. He has since been released on police bail.

–              One man aged in his 20s on suspicion of drug offences. He has since been released with no further action being taken against him.

–              One woman aged in her 30s on suspicion of drug and driving offences. She has since been released on police bail.

Chief Insp Kris Barnard said: “These events are not only illegal and unsafe, they also cause unnecessary damage and disruption.  Enquiries are ongoing to establish the circumstances leading up to the event and where we can prevent, disrupt or stop a rave taking place, we will do everything within our power to do this in order to minimise the impact on local communities. We hope this robust action acts as a deterrent to anyone who may wish to organise events like these in the future.

 “I want to thank members of the public for their patience and support as we worked to bring this event to a safe closure.”

Man jailed after fatal stabbing over £10 drug debt

A 42-year-old who killed a man in North Walsham over a £10 drug debt dispute has been jailed for nine years.

Matthew Constantinou was convicted of manslaughter on May 11, following an 11-day trial. He had originally been charged with murder, which he denied.

Thomas Moore, also 42, was stabbed once in the neck during an argument with Constantinou over the cannabis debt in October last year.

Constantinou, of Antingham Drive, North Walsham, appeared at Norwich Crown Court today where he was sentenced.

The court heard how the incident unfolded on the evening of October 2, 2020, after Mr Moore visited Constantinou’s home  with his friend, who was owed the money. Both men spoke to Constantinou’s mother, who answered door  and handed over £10 before asking them to leave.

During this time, Constantinou (pictured left) appeared, armed with a baseball bat and chased both men from the house. Constantinou chased Mr Moore on to Bacton Road where the argument happened and where the victim suffered a single stab wound to the neck.

 Neighbours alerted police to the disturbance and officers arrived on scene to find Mr Moore with a serious injury to his neck. He was given CPR by members of the public and later by officers and paramedics but was pronounced dead at the scene.

 Following the incident, Constantinou returned home where he dialled 999 said he believed he’d seriously injured someone. Officers went to his home and arrested him on suspicion of GBH, later changing it to murder.

Det Insp Lewis Craske, from Norfolk and Suffolk’s Major Investigation Team, welcomed the sentence. He said: “This incident quickly escalated into a violent attack in which a man has needlessly lost his life. These moments of violence are often short-lived but have serious long-term consequences for those involved and their families. The end result is there are no winners with the lives of people changed forever.”

Witness plea after fatal crash

Police are appealing for witnesses following a fatal collision on the B1150 in Coltishall on May 2.

A triathlon time trial bike was being ridden towards North Walsham, near the junction of Ling Way on the B1150 North Walsham Road, when the rider was involved in a collision with a black Ford Kuga around 3.30pm.

The cyclist, a man aged in his 50s, was taken to the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital with serious injuries and died on May 9.

Police are appealing for anyone who may have witnessed the collision or the manner of driving of either the rider or driver prior to the collision to come forward.

Anyone with information or dashcam footage should contact the Serious Collision Investigation Unit by calling 101 or by emailing SCIU@norfolk.pnn.police.uk quoting incident NC-02052021-257.

Man guilty of manslaughter after £10 drug debt stabbing

A 42-year-old who killed a man in North Walsham following a dispute over a £10 drug debt has been found guilty of manslaughter.

Thomas Moore, also 42, was stabbed once in the neck during an argument with Matthew Constantinou over the cannabis debt in October last year.

Constantinou, of Antingham Drive, North Walsham, had denied murdering Moore, claiming self-defence and was today convicted by a jury at Norwich Crown Court of the lesser charge of manslaughter.

During the two-week trial, the court heard how the incident unfolded on the evening of October 2, 2020. Prior to the argument, Moore had visited Constantinou’s address with his friend who was owed the money. Both men spoke to Constantinou’s mother, who answered door and handed over £10 before asking them to leave.

During this time, Constantinou appeared armed with a baseball bat and chased both men from the house. Constantinou chased Moore to Bacton Road where the argument happened, and Moore suffered a single stab wound to the neck.

Moore was given CPR by members of the public and later by police officers and paramedics but was pronounced dead at the scene shortly after midnight on October 3.

Following the incident, Constantinou returned home where he dialled 999, saying he believed he’d seriously injured someone. Officers went to his home address and arrested him on suspicion of GBH and later charged him with murder.

Det Insp Lewis Craske, from Norfolk and Suffolk’s Major Investigation Team, said: “This was a violent attack in which a man has needlessly lost his life over a £10 cannabis debt. Regardless of the catalyst for the argument, this case demonstrates that violence is not the answer. There are no winners in this case with lives on both sides affected forever.”

Constantinou was remanded in custody and will be sentenced on May 20.

Make a date for open gardens

Some of the area’s most beautiful gardens are being opened this spring and summer to help raise money for St John Ambulance.
While the service was in high demand during 2020 helping the NHS deal with the covid-19 pandemic and now keeping busy assisting at vaccination centres, its fundraising took a nosedive.
And now gardens including Sheringham Hall and the Bishop of Norwich’s Garden are holding open days to give the charity a shot in the arm in return.
Sheringham Hall is the first garden to open up on April 17, from noon until 5pm, with Chestnut Farm at West Beckham, near Holt, soon after on May 16.
Visitors to Sheringham Hall, a house designed by Humphrey Repton, will be able to see the walled garden, glasshouses and cold frames which have been lovingly restored.


There are also walks through the woodland, a wildflower meadow and vistas over the park.

Chestnut Farm is a three-acre garden with plants gathered together during the past 50 years and more being added annually, with many rare and unusual species.
A stroll through the old paddock will show off the collection of shrubs and trees forming a small arboretum, many of which will be in blossom and giving off a wonderful scent.


The event at the Bishop’s Garden will be on July 4 but can be booked now.
Pre-booking might also be required at some of the gardens, and while there will be some distancing requirements in place there will be the usual tea and cake – albeit in a different format from previous years.
The charity needs your support so please visit stjohnopengardensgmail.weebly.com for more Norfolk gardens to visit, times, ticket prices and any necessary updates.
You can also call Georgina Holloway on 01328 700514 or email georginaholloway@hotmail.co.uk

Vandals attack golf course

An attack by vandals has meant that the course at Sprowston Manor Hotel and Country Club has been unable to reopen to golfers on the first day that lockdown restrictions were eased.

The damage caused to one of the greens.

Following overnight damage of five of the greens, the long-awaited first day of play has had to be postponed and, in a post on their Facebook page, the venue said that the greens team was checking the damage and would be making urgent repairs in the hope of reopening soon.

Police have been informed and members will be updated.

Police move to allay dog theft fears

A rash of posts on social media provoking concerns about dog thieves has led to police issuing a statement to put minds at rest.

Community pages on sites such as Facebook have had lots of posts from dog walkers concerned about being targeted by thieves and apocryphal reports of attempts to take dogs by force, but police have quashed these, saying there have been no such crimes reported to them.

“We are aware of concerns and rumours circulating on social media about dogs being stolen or men in a van, including a van allegedly marked with the RSPCA logo, acting suspiciously around people out walking with their dogs.

“Please know there haven’t been any crimes recorded this week that relate to dog thefts nor have we received any reports of dogs being stolen from a property or while out walking with their owners over the last week.”

It went on to say that one person in North Walsham had reported a man in a Transit van asking questions about their dog, but no further reports had been received.

The RSPCA also moved to quash rumours that dog thieves were posing as RSPCA inspectors, and the police statement added: “The RSPCA has told us that a number of incidents circulating on social media claiming people are impersonating their inspectors do not appear to have been actual cases of people trying to pass as bogus officials.

“It’s important to know there are very few incidents whereby an RSPCA officer will approach someone in public unless they witness animal cruelty or see an animal in immediate danger. Officers will also wear RSPCA brand clothing and always carry RSPCA identification. RSPCA officers do not have power of entry or seizure unless accompanied by a police officer.”

But while they said there was no increase in threats to pets in the area, police stressed that any incident or concern – especially anyone claiming to be from the RSPCA – should be reported to them by calling 101.

“Try to give us as much detail about the person or the vehicle they were in as you can. And do not hesitate to call us on 999 if a crime is happening and you need our help.”

Chief constable set to retire

Norfolk’s Chief Constable Simon Bailey has today announced he will retire in June after completing 35 years’ service with the police.

Mr Bailey, who has led the force for the last eight years, said: “I have been extremely proud to lead Norfolk Constabulary as chief constable for the last eight years.  However, after 35 years in policing, the time has now come to look to pastures new.  So, following careful consideration, I have made the decision to retire.

Chief Constable Simon Bailey

“During my tenure as chief constable, the force has faced many challenges, including the last year policing in a pandemic and I am indebted to the support given to me from a dedicated and talented team of chief officers, alongside that of our Police and Crime Commissioner, Lorne Green.

 “I also want to take this opportunity to thank each and every one of my officers and staff for their hard work, commitment and dedication in policing our county and making Norfolk Constabulary a force to be truly proud of.”

Since 2014 he has held the National Police Chief’s Council portfolio for Child Protection and Abuse Investigations and has been the NPCC lead for Violence and Public Protection since 2016.

 “As the NPCC lead for child protection, violence and public protection, I’ve had the opportunity to work with a dedicated and passionate group of people, leading our service’s response to some of the biggest challenges within law enforcement today. Together, I believe we have made a real difference and immensely proud of the work we have achieved,” he said.