Archives

Reader’s massive donation to Harry Deeba cancer appeal

A Just Drayton and Taverham reader has donated £25,000 to the Harry Deeba appeal, which smashed its target today.

The retired farmer, who wishes to remain anonymous, contacted us after reading about the £239,000 appeal for the two-year-old Taverham tot in April’s edition, and we put him in touch with Harry’s mum, Carly Howes.

“It was really lovely of him. He wanted to give us more but we felt we couldn’t accept more,” said Carly.

“It’s really helped us. We didn’t know him but he wanted to help someone local. It was so generous of him to donate a huge amount like that – it’s heartwarming.

“All the money for Harry’s appeal has come from normal local people who just care and want to help – it’s fantastic.”

Solving Kids’ Cancer, the charity administering donations to Harry’s appeal, recorded this morning that the latest total stands at £255,557 – all raised since January through scores of mini and major fundraisers and donations.

Harry has spent a year of gruelling treatments to rid him of the cancer, high-risk neuroblastoma, which has a relapse rate of nearly 50pc. Of those who do relapse, nine out of 10 die.

His parents launched the appeal to send Harry for pioneering vaccine treatment in New York which it is hoped will cut the likelihood of relapse.

Harry has had extensive scans and other procedures following the end of his NHS treatment to see whether he is clear of cancer. The family is waiting for New York medics to review the results and say whether or not he will be accepted on the vaccine trial. They hope to hear by the end of the week and could possibly leave for America by the end of the month.

Carly thanked “Harry’s Heroes” and everyone who had helped them reach the target which she described as “absolutely brilliant”.

But she urged everyone to keep supporting the appeal because of the continuing uncertainty of Harry’s condition, with relapse possible at any time, which could mean he would need fast, potentially-expensive treatments.

For more information on the appeal visit: https://www.facebook.com/HarryDeeba/

Harry Deeba who has achieved his fundraising target. PICTURE: Richard Jermy Photography.

No Great British Prom at Blickling this summer

The Great British Prom will be taking a break this year with a view to returning to the Blickling Estate in 2020.

Lisa Ward of organisers Revival Productions said: “We have been running this type of concert for many years and experience shows us that sometimes it’s good to have a break, with a view to coming back with renewed vigour.

“The Great British weather worked against us last year, however, we know that this event has become a firm favourite in the Norfolk calendar and so we are planning to come back bigger and better in 2020!”

Jo Bosch, visitor experience nanager at Blickling said “Our summer concerts are something we look forward to all year and are a highlight of our annual programme. 

“Classic Ibiza promises to be even bigger and better this year and we really welcome the approach our partners at Revival Productions are taking in asking what their loyal supporters would like to see at the Great British Prom event at Blickling in 2020.”

Revival Productions are asking the Great British Prom audience what they’d like to see for 2020. The traditional proms event or perhaps something different? You can have your say by visiting the Great British Prom Facebook page and commenting there, or email info@revival-productions.co.uk with your thoughts.

Lisa added: “Tell us what you’d love to see! We have a year to plan something very special for our Norfolk audience.”

Classic Ibiza will be returning this year on Friday August 9. For full event details please visit www.classicibiza.co.uk or call 01283 841601.

 

Blickling Great British Prom 2017, Photo by Simon Finlay Photography.

Norfolk drink/drug driving results shock

Nearly 190 people were arrested during the Christmas drink and drug driving campaign in Norfolk, with more people testing positive for drugs than alcohol.

Norfolk police have just released the results of the month-long campaign, launched on 1 December 2018, which targeted drivers getting behind the wheel under the influence of alcohol and drugs. A total of 189 drivers were arrested.

A break down of the results shows that 1,140 breath tests were carried out with 72 people providing positive readings, while 97 people failed drug tests out the 180 conducted.  In addition, nine people were arrested for failing to provide a specimen while 11 people were arrested for being unfit to drive through drink or drugs.

During the 2017 campaign, 947 tests were carried out with 81 drivers providing positive readings. Of the 172 drug tests conducted 56 drivers failed. In addition, six people were arrested for failing to provide a specimen while 12 people were arrested for being unfit to drive through drink or drugs.

This year again saw specific time slots at Norwich Magistrates’ Courts being reserved to deal with those caught drink or drug driving. This effectively meant that offenders could lose their licence within 24 hours of being breathalysed whilst facing additional fines.

Chief Inspector Kris Barnard, Head of the Roads Armed Policing Team (RAPT), said: “It’s disappointing to see that people are still prepared to take the risk and get behind the wheel under the influence of alcohol, although it does appear to be a minority of motorists.

“A notable difference during this campaign is that there have been more drivers tested positive for drugs than alcohol. While this is a concern, drug driving is something we actively target all year round. It’s also a reflection of our increased ability to carry out roadside tests for cannabis and cocaine.

“Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol impairs your judgement, making your reactions slower and therefore increasing the chances of being involved in a collision.”

 

A roadside drug-test device.

 

 

Drayton among targets in burglary spree

Police are urging residents to be vigilant following a series of burglaries in the Broadland and north Norwich areas.

Ten incidents have been reported in Acle, Drayton, Norwich, Salhouse and Horstead since December 18 and in the majority of cases suspect(s) have forced entry by smashing windows or doors.

Local policing commander Chief Inspector Wes Hornigold said officers were investigating whether the incidents were linked and that some of the properties targeted had been holiday homes.

He said: “We would urge anyone living in these areas to be vigilant and take the necessary security measures such as ensuring doors and windows are locked. Residents can also help us by notifying police about any suspicious activity or behaviour they may witness. You know your communities better than anyone else so will be best placed to notice if something or someone is out of place.”

A watch and jewellery were stolen from a home in Old Market Close, Acle, on December 18 while overnight on Friday December 21 suspect(s) targeted a property in Orchard Bank, Drayton, stealing van keys before taking the vehicle.

Jewellery and watches were stolen from a property in Norwich Road, Horstead, between December 14 and 29.

An untidy search was carried out at a property in Blenheim Crescent, Norwich, targeted on Christmas Day, although it appears nothing was stolen.

Cash was stolen from a property in Thunder Lane, Thorpe St Andrew, between 1.30pm on Boxing Day and 9.50pm on  December 27.

Between  December 21 and 27 a property in Barn Piece Close,  Salhouse, was targeted by burglars who stole jewellery and watches while jewellery and a mobile phone were taken from a house in Woodside Road, Norwich, on December 30.

Attempted burglaries have also been reported in Ling Way, Coltishall, and The Street,  Brundall, between December 23 and 28.

Officers are urging homeowners to be vigilant and report any suspicious activity to police.

Anyone with information should contact Norfolk Police on 101 or call Crimestoppers anonymously 0800 555 111.

Don’t miss local firms’ Christmas video

It’s back by popular demand! Drayton estate agent’s William’s Way very special video take on the Twelve Days of Christmas has been released.

The fun frolic features William’s Way and 11 other businesses, mostly from Drayton, Taverham and Hellesdon, each filmed for a different day of Christmas, sounding their own firm’s particular trumpet in festive fashion.

“It’s a lot of fun, with out-takes on the end!” said Wil Barber, owner of William’s Way which launched the first video last year.

“We got just shy of 1,300 views last year and the community really enjoyed it,” said Wil. “Unlike many businesses which get very busy at this time of year, in our industry we’re quieter at Christmas so we were happy to facilitate this.

“Everyone was so excited and appreciative and couldn’t believe there was no charge for it! It’s just a fun way of helping give local businesses a bit of an extra boost.”

The only non-local business taking part this year is the online punditry site Talk Norwich City. “Everyone round here’s a Norwich City fan so it is kind of local!” said Wil.

Also among the featured businesses is HexCam drone photography and video, based in Drayton, which turned one of its drones into a Santa’s little helper for the video. The firm works with clients including the BBC and English Heritage.

To watch the 12 Days of Christmas Jingle, go to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xln0ycPFW74

 

 

 

 

Taverham to mark Armistice centenary

Taverham is planning a major event to mark the centenary of the end of the First World War, on November 11.

Taverham Parish Council, in conjunction with Wensum Valley Golf Club, is holding a Battle’s Over celebration at the golf club from 3.30pm to the lighting of the Taverham beacon at 7pm and beyond.

Tickets are limited and people are advised to book early to avoid disappointment. The £10 per head charge includes a sit-down, two-course, authentic wartime meal that could well have been on the menu 100 years ago.

Tickets are available from Taverham Parish Council office, Wensum Valley Golf Club, Abbotts at Victoria Road, Pyms and Co at Acres Way,  and at William’s Way in Drayton.

Taverham Band will provide entertainment and there will also be a slideshow.

Organisers are looking for First World War memorabilia to display and any photos etc of street parties. Contact parish council chairman John Pennells on 01603 261681 if you have any items

 

 

Stonemason repairs Drayton War Memorial for free

Stonemason Paul Miles has pledged to clean and repair Drayton War Memorial for free, in tribute to those who gave their lives in the First World War.

Drayton Parish Council contacted several stonemasons, including Paul, and asked them to tender for the work.

Paul, who lives in Taverham and has a workshop in Drayton, said: “I just said if they liked I would do it free of charge as a gift to Drayton.

“Those soldiers were mostly youngsters who thought they were off on a jolly holiday. They gave so much for us. They are all heroes.”

Paul has already cleaned the memorial and will ensure that any missing lettering is replaced and all letters painted in fresh black enamel in time for The Armistice centenary weekend.

Graham Everett, chairman of Drayton Parish Council, said they were very grateful to Paul.

He added: “Having received quotes for hundreds of pounds for cleaning the war memorial, the parish council was delighted to take up Paul’s very generous offer. We know his work will be appreciated by all those in the parish and this is a lovely gesture to honour those who gave their lives for their country.”

An Armistice Commemoration Afternoon Tea will start a weekend of events in Drayton to mark the centenary of the end of the First World War.

The parish council, village hall committee and parish church are working closely together on the programme, which will also include a church service featuring poignant silhouettes of Drayton’s war dead from the 1914-1918 conflict.

The tea will be held in the village hall on Saturday November 10. Doors open at 2.15pm for a 2.30pm start. The afternoon, sponsored by the parish council, will include musical entertainment from accordionist Alan Sisson, as well as period poetry and a community commemoration.

Tickets cost £3.50 each (phone 01603 867987) including tea/coffee and light refreshments. All proceeds will go to Drayton Village Hall.

On Armistice Day, Sunday November 11, St Margaret’s Church, Drayton, will hold a service at 10.30am when the congregation will be joined in the pews by Perspex silhouettes of soldiers, representing each of the nine men whose names are recorded on the churchyard memorial,

The shapes, part of the national There but not there commemoration, are sponsored by the parish council. Pen portraits of each man will also be read and displayed.

After the service, refreshments will be served in the village hall, opposite the church, with catering provided by The Partea Hut.

All are welcome at the weekend events and organisers hope people will bring along any First World War memorabilia passed down through their families.

Paul Mason at Drayton War Memorial

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Just Regional celebrates first decade!

Yes that’s right, it was 10 years ago when the first issue of Just Aylsham first popped through letterboxes.

For those who don’t know the story, business owner Lee Todd was keen to see a local magazine full of local stories for his home town and so the idea of the hyperlocal Just name was established.

The Aylsham magazine was soon joined by one dedicated to North Walsham and the business then expanded along the coast, into other parts of Broadland and finally around the outskirts of Norwich.

Today, the Just magazines hits 50,000 dooormats in 10 areas, with free pick-ups in libraries, information centres and shops.

Just Regional serves 10 towns and city suburbs in Norfolk with four-weekly titles (three-weekly in Aylsham) and also covers all of those communities with Summer and Christmas special publications.

Built on a belief that hyperlocal news can be presented using high specification paper, quality journalism, excellent photography and professional sales, the business has grown from two part-time staff to 10 office staff and 120 distribution staff with their offices in Aylsham, a location central to all of the areas covered.

Lee said: “We’ve done an incredible job in Norfolk showing how hyperlocal can work, in a competitive marketplace, both for advertisers and readers.

“A lot of publishers have talked about hyperlocal for a long time – we have actually done it and made a success of the model.

“However we couldn’t have done it without our advertisers who have supported us right from day one. A big thank you to them and a happy anniversary to us!”

A big fan of the publications is BBC Radio Norfolk presenter Nick Conrad, who said: “Just Regional produce outstanding magazines run by wonderful people who love and champion their towns and villages. As the owner of a local business who has worked with Just Regional, these guys really get behind you and believe in you. Over the past decade they have woven themselves into the fabric of the communities they represent”.

The first issue of Just Aylsham from October 2008.